Sh*t Just Got Real

3:29 PM

On November 2, 2012, I took a pregnancy test on a whim.  My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for about a month, and I was pretty sure that our efforts had been in vain.

Hershey (yes, my husband's name is Hershey) was helping his grandfather with a Hurricane Sandy clean up job in Ridgefield Park, and I was home alone.  Our electricity had just been restored, and I ran to the store to pick up some staples.  While I was there, I bought a pregnancy test thinking, 'Can't hurt!'  When I got home, I unwrapped the package and got busy peeing.  I figured that I could go put my groceries away while I waited for the answer.

I was pulling up my pants when I saw it.

Oh sh*t...

Couldn't possibly have registered that fast!  I took it again.  Again, within seconds it was positive.  I started to sweat.

I picked up the phone and dialed Hershey's cell number.  Voicemail.  I dialed again.  Voicemail.

I grabbed my keys and downed another glass of water.  I ran to CVS, my thought process being, 'Maybe those tests are old, since I bought them at an A&P.  I mean, how many people buy pregnancy tests at A&P?  It probably has been sitting on the shelf forever.  They must be dysfunctional.'

While I was at CVS, I purchased a few other items, JUST IN CASE this was the real deal.  I bought a blank gift card, a rattle, and a gift bag, and ANOTHER pregnancy test.  I was now $40 in the hole.  This had better work.

When I got home, I ran to the bathroom, my hands shaking.  I peed again.  And again.  Both positive.  I was now looking at four positive pregnancy tests on my bathroom counter.  I called Hershey again.  Voicemail.

That was the longest five hours of my life.  When Hershey finally called, I urged him to hurry home.  I had been sitting on this news for five hours, and I was going to explode all over my living room soon. 

As soon as Hershey walked through the door, I thrust the gift bag into his hands.  

"What's this?"

"Just because you're a good husband."

"You didn't have to buy me-"

"JUST OPEN IT!"

I watched as a look of confusion crossed his face when he pulled out the rattle.  Then he read the card, and looked at me.  

Telling Hershey...

"Are you serious?"

I was crying.  That was all he needed to see.

We grabbed each other and hugged and kissed, and then he said, "I have to go take a shower."  He was covered in mold and asbestos from his clean up efforts.  I followed him into the bathroom and sat on the toilet, not wanting to be alone for another minute!

I excitedly made the appointment to go to the doctor the following week.  On Monday, November 5, 2012, my OB-GYN confirmed what 4 pregnancy tests had hinted ("Four?  You took four?  Why so many?") -- we had a little bun in the oven...

This was how we told our parents

One week later, during a lockdown drill at school, I felt something warm.  I knew I wasn't peeing myself, so I started to suspect the worst.  25 minutes later, I was on my way to my doctor's office, my mother in the passenger seat.  As the doctor found the sac that the baby was in, I saw a look of confusion cross her face.

DOCTOR:  Do twins run in your family?

ME:  No.

DOCTOR:  In your husband's?

ME:  WTF DO YOU SEE IN THERE???

As she turned the screen towards me, I was unsure of what I was looking at.  

DOCTOR:  Well, you're having TWINS!

The image that changed our life

ME:  HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!??!?!?!?!?!

DOCTOR:  Maybe I'll give you a few minutes to let this sink in.

ME:  WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M HAVING TWINS?  I LIVE IN A ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT, WHERE AM I GOING TO PUT TWO BABIES??!!?!

That was the beginning of our journey.  I called Hershey at work to give him the news.  In front of a room full of 8th graders, he almost yelled out a myriad of obscenities.  It took a little while for the news to settle in.  Our family was about to DOUBLE.  

Jane & Emma sharing secrets

Fast forward to today.  We are both off from school for the summer, and caring for our beautiful twin girls, who were due July 6th but arrived May 13th.  This blog will be dedicated to Jane and Emma.  I plan to offer advice, commiserate with those of you who are going through where I have been, and hopefully help you laugh in the process.  Let's face it -- it's difficult to get through this life if you can't keep your sense of humor.  Our home is filled with love and laughter, and I hope to be able to share some of that with you.  

In addition to now being a mom, I'm also a wife and a teacher, so I'll not only be writing candidly about my adventures in parenthood, but about what it means for me to be a wife, and how I'm surviving marriage, as well as some of my forays in the classroom, because teaching is my next obsession in life (after my husband and daughters, of course)!

Me and the love of my life
Me doing what I love

Feel free to peruse my blog for anything that you are interested in.  If you're interested in teaching, tune out my mommyhood ramblings.  If you want nothing to do with teaching, focus on the parent-ville posts.  Hopefully everyone can find something on my blog that will help or entertain them, and hopefully you will want to come back frequently

Happy twinning!

Happy 2 Month Birthday, Emma (L) and Jane (R)!

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. You two are the most adorable couple with the most adorable twin girls! Congratulations and I hope to follow your life with the twins!

    ReplyDelete