It's in the Bag!

6:57 PM

It's Sunday Funday again, and we are getting ready to watch the Giants, once again.  Hopefully they will get it together today, especially since the girls are such great little cheerleaders!


Two of my best friends are expecting little babies in the next 8 weeks, so as we anxiously await little Ryan and Olivia's arrivals, I wanted to write a post all about the hospital bag.  Although we are hoping Olivia and Ryan will cook until they are 40 weeks old, Erin and Suzanne could technically go any day now!  Remember, Jane and Emma entered our world at 32 weeks...

I used the large tote from Land's End that I have personalized. Any large overnight bag will do. 

Without further ado, here is the complete list of junk that was in my hospital bag (which we took to the hospital twice).

1.  Slipper socks.  They give these to you at the hospital, but they're scratchy and uncomfortable.  These felt soooo good on my swollen feets.

2.  Shampoo and Conditioner.  Again, most hospitals have this, but it feels amazeballs to take that first post delivery shower with your familiar, sweet smelling shampoo.  I just brought travel sizes with me to conserve space.

3.  Face wash/eye make up remover.  I brought the pre-moistened cloths so that I wouldn't have to worry about bending over a sink or getting out of bed!

4.  Moisturizer and body lotion.  Hospitals are extremely dry, especially in the winter months.  Bring your favorite moisturizers with you to make sure you don't come out looking like the Crypt Keeper.

5.  Electronics and chargers.  Camera, cell phone, iPad, laptop.  Whatever electronics you're bringing with you, make sure to grab extra chargers.

6.  One of your own pillows with a colored pillow case.  You will be happy to have a nice, soft, fluffy pillow from home.  The colored pillow case will ensure that housekeeping doesn't sweep it away on you while you're out washing off the ew or visiting your new little bundle of joy.

7.  Comfy nursing bras.  I love the Medela bras, and I am specifically a huge fan of this bra, which I still wear to bed and around the house on weekends.  I know, it's hot.

8.  Going home outfit for baby.  I bought preemie outfits and newborn outfits, just in case.  If you are a high risk pregnancy, I would strongly suggest buying just ONE preemie outfit at first (or one per baby, if you're having higher order multiples).  You can always donate it to the NICU if you don't use it (or even if you do), and it's better to be safe than sorry.

9.  Going home outfit for you.  Something soft with a little bit of give.  I wore home one of my maternity maxi dresses.  You want to stick with flowy or elastic materials, as you'll still be carrying some baby weight when you leave.

10.  Headbands/ponytail ties/barrettes.  You can't wash your hair for a day or two after delivery because you can't take a shower.  Having a way to tie that greasy ball of matted, sweaty hair away from your face will make you feel much better.  The grunge look went out with the 90s, and you don't want your post-delivery pics (which there will be many of) to be a flashback to your Nirvana-loving years.

11.  Tic Tacs.  Just trust me on this one.

12.  Mascara and blush.  You won't want to put on a full face of make up, but it will make you feel better to put on a coat of mascara and some blush when people come to visit (and take more pictures of you).

13.  Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash.  Just bring travel sizes.

14.  Flip flops for the showers, which are communal.  Not only will you not get foot fungus, but you also won't slip and fall on some jerk's wad of conditioner that they failed to wash down the drain.  Getting up off of the floor is not easy after giving birth, and if you want to hold on to what little tiny shred of dignity you have left, you don't want to have to call someone to help your naked self up off of the floor of the shower.

15.  Contact lenses, case, solution, glasses, etc., if you wear them.

16.  Comfy jammies.  My bestie ran to Target and got me the most comfortable nursing top and maternity shorts the day after I gave birth, and I couldn't have been more in love with her than I was at the moment she handed them to me.  Rocking around in a hospital gown for the first day is FINE, but after that you will want more coverage and comfort.

17.  A notebook.  I'm reading from my notebook right now to compile this list.  I have a notebook that I have used for EVERYTHING, from my wedding to this day.  You will want to write down who visited you in the hospital, who sent flowers, and who sent/brought gifts and what they brought so that you can send thank you notes when you get home.

18.  Re-useable bags.  I brought 3-4 with me.  The hospital gives you swag.  You make dirty laundry.  You take formula, choopies, baby wash, etc. off of the baby cart every time it comes in the room.  You need bags to bring all of this crap home in. Fold a few up and throw them in the bottom of your hospital bag.  You'll be happy you did.

19.  Tums.  Colace.  Gas-X.  They should give you this stuff at the hospital, but bring some, just in case.

20.  Panties.  Cheap ones.  Big ones.  It's up to you, I didn't bring them but some women swear by bringing them.  I jammed out in the ones that the hospital gave me, and I was fine with them.  I even brought some home (in my re-useable bags) and used them for a few weeks after.

That's what I brought with me.  Of course, people will be coming and going and you can always get someone to pick something up for you if you forget something. 

If I forgot anything, or if you can think of anything to add to this list, please leave it in the comments below!

Have a great week everyone!


You Might Also Like

0 comments