I'M ALIVE(ish)!!

10:48 PM

After my post about how we had *barely* survived the Norovirus, about a week and a half ago, Jane and Emma started coughing.  And so began my hiatus, otherwise known as "My Trip into Baby Virus Hell" (or "Babies vs. RSV").

Flashback to Jane and Emma's 3 month check-up.  The doctor informed us that she had applied for the RSV medication treatments for Emma and Jane, saying that she told the medicine gods that I had been given rounds of steroids to strengthen their lungs when I was in labor with the girls and that they were in incubators for 6 weeks, but that we had been denied.  

And now here we are, 6 months later, and Jane and Emma are fully in the throes of the disease which we had been denied a medication for that could have prevented it.  We even had to make our very first trip to the baby ER to get a breathing treatment and measure the girls' oxygen levels because of the bronchiolitis.  Thank you health care system.



The hardest part is that we have been trapped inside for almost 4 weeks now.  Between the illnesses (Hershey has been sick, as well, and I've been fighting it hardcore) and the never ending SNOW, we cannot leave the house for anything but Target and doctor runs.  I haven't seen my friends since Jan. 17 (two days before Jane projectile vomited all over me, thus beginning our journey into mucus).  My house has smelled like puke and poop for 3.5 weeks.  I am pretty sure I have smelled like puke and poop for at least 3.5 weeks.  My knuckles are literally bleeding from all of the Purell and hand washing.  And we have another HUGE snow storm baring down on us as we speak, which means more snow, and more being trapped inside. 

I JUST WANT TO HEAR A BIRD SINGING!!!

Poor Jane and Emma are so frustrated.  We have stopped feeding them solid foods because with all of the mucus, they either choke when we try to put a spoon in their mouths, or cough so hard that they throw up because the mucus is so thick from the food.  And they just sit and watch us when we eat food in front of them, and smack their lips and drool, so we have given up eating while they're awake.  



They want to crawl, but when they're on their faces, they spit up mucus.  And they want to walk, but their little bodies are so achy from coughing so much that they take a few steps and then start whining.

As for their schedule -- WHAT SCHEDULE?!  They sleep when they are tired, eat when they are hungry, we try to sit in the bathroom with the hot water running before formula bottles to break up the crap in their chests, and try to keep them entertained with whatever we can.  Yogurt worked before they got sick, but with the mucus, it's impossible to give them anything dairy.






Sleeping has become a major issue, once again.  Last night, Emma woke up at 1:00 a.m. coughing, so Hershey and I spent 45 minutes taking turns going in to calm her back to sleep.  Then Jane woke up at 2:00 a.m., and was coughing so much and so hard that I had to take her out of the room, suction her already sore little nose with the Nose Frida, give her a puff of albuterol, and then sit in the bathroom with the shower running for 15 minutes.  It then took about 45 minutes to get her back to sleep.  


Needless to say, we are running on empty, and I'm starting to get a sore throat.  AWESOME.

The good news is, since Emma and Jane have been taking 10 bottles a day (5 formula, 5 Pedialyte), they are learning to hold their own bottles really well!  And although the school is starting to take days back from our spring break to make up for the excessive amount of snow days, I am grateful that we are able to be home with Jane and Emma while they are sick, because I feel like although their caretakers are very attentive and love them so, so much, they are not Mama and Daddy, and the girls heal better when they are with us.  It's the little things...


Displaying image.jpeg
Artwork by Obaby! App on my iPhone

In other news, I have officially begun contributing to another great MoMs blog, titled How Do You Do It?  Yesterday I posted a recycled post all about the mommy books I love, but this week is Book Review Week, so you can find many other reviews of different books throughout the site.  Come on by visit me there when you have a chance!

How are you guys handling this winter?  I feel like it's never going to quit -- do you feel the same way?  How are you beating the snow blues?

Hope you all have a great snow day tomorrow!  Please stay safe!  xoxo

Oh, and don't forget to vote! 

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

You Might Also Like

0 comments