We Made It Through Another One (Thankfully)

5:29 PM

Thanksgiving used to be my favorite holiday.  I mean, I love eating (check!), I love parties (check!), I love spending time with loved ones (check, check!), and I love eating (double-check!).  

Last year, Thanksgiving was ruined for me because I was newly pregnant and SICK as a dog.  It was fun, because Thanksgiving was when we announced we were pregnant to our family.  Well, Hershey did, in his most debonair way (Hey Aunt Nancy, I'm having twins! -- to which everyone looked at him funny and I had to swoop in and save him with, "Well, I'M pregnant with twins.").  But I couldn't eat much of anything, couldn't drink any wine, and was getting morning sickness at around 7:00 pm, at which point I had the privilege of playing DD and taking us home early.  Poop.


This year, our day went like this:

We got up and fed the girls at 6:00 a.m. after a full night of letting them CIO (at the suggestion of our pediatrician).  They then stayed awake ALLLLLLL day.  We packed half of our apartment, spent 20 minutes loading the car and dressing them, and drove the 20 minute ride to Hershey's aunt's house.  


When we got there, Emma immediately threw a temper tantrum, and about 13 minutes later I was stripping both girls of their adorable outfits that I had spent months picking out and trying to get them settled in their pack n' play for a nap.


Which went great.

Emma screamed bloody murder and Jane smiled and kicked her legs for 10 minutes.  

We spent the rest of the night feeding them their first turkey/mashed potatoes and listening to them howl as our VERY patient moms (aka the Grandma Squad) rocked them and walked them and tried to feed them bottles and let them sleep on their shoulders.  Hershey and I got to eat cold turkey and smelled like spit up from about 29 minutes into the night.  And we never even got a family picture.



Needless to say that after dessert we packed the girls up and ran out of there as fast as we could.  When we got home, we practically catapulted them into their cribs and collapsed onto our couch, wondering where our holiday kick-off day had gone!

I feel like for the last year we have been saying, "Just think, this time next year it will be better."  I'm ready for it to be better.  I hate to wish their babyhood away, but something's gotta give!

Amidst all of the hullabaloo, I did find some time to be thankful and to cook some noms.  

Here are the things that I am thankful for this year:

My husband.  His unending patience and fortitude have gotten me through this last year in times when I thought I would literally die.  It sounds cliche, but, without him, I'm not sure what I would do (besides probably cry a LOT).

My daughters.  They are a light at the end of this tunnel called life.  Even when they are cranky, screaming, drooling messes with diapers full of disgusting, they are the best thing that I have ever done in my life, and I am thankful that they are such happy, healthy little babies.

Family.  Even though we don't always see eye-to-eye and we don't always get along, I wouldn't be the person I am today without their love and support, and for that I am grateful.

Teaching.  There are days when I wonder how I will make it through, but my students breathe life and energy into me even when I feel like I have nothing left to give.

You all.  Thank you for continuing to read, comment, share, and encourage me in my journey.  The comments that I get from everyone keep me going, and I draw strength from knowing that there are others alongside me on this path, even if I can't reach out and physically touch you!

And here is a list of NOMS that I made:

For the grown-ups, I made homemade cranberry sauce.  Find the recipe here.

For the kiddies, I made sweet potatoes/broccoli, corn, corn/carrots, carrots, and cinnamon apple sauce.  I'll create a post later detailing how I make the girls their favorite baby foods.

How do you celebrate the kick off of the holiday season?  What do you find most fabulous/frustrating about this time of year?  I'd love to hear from you!

Thanksgiving outfits from Dreaming of Stitches.  Danica was so easy/wonderful to work with!

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and found some time to slow down and be thankful.    See you next time! 

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

You Might Also Like

0 comments